Wednesday 7 September 2016

DAY 7: The Stigma of Therapy

DAY 7: The Stigma of Therapy

The other day I was speaking on the phone with another person. They explained to me that the experiences that they were facing were too much to handle. What they were going through was really too much to handle and they required/needed outside assistance/support to help work through these points. The person had told me that they've decided to seek professional help.

When this was said to me I absolutely supported it. On that level I opened up about me going to see a psychologist to get more self-understanding. I felt a little embarrassed opening up about this to with the person and I later questioned it. It was that fear of being seen as crazy because I go see a professional.

Many people believe that professionals work with crazy people. It is not always the case. The main clients that professionals have are people who are dealing with divorce, chronic work related stressors, depression, bullying and all other kinds of events/situations where people need/require professional assistance/support with. Those who seek professional assistance/support are not crazy.

There is a stigma around psychologists too. That they're brainwashing or manipulating people. I remember a few people have called psychologists the crazy ones, and the one's require/needing help. That is not true. Psychologist's are ordinary people too. lol. Just with skills and knowledge of how to work with a different states of mind. Never underestimate them either.

I remember when I first met my psychologist. It was last year that I had needed/required assistance/support to help me work through stuff that was going on within me. I made the appointment, and I was there on the day to meet my psychologist. I had never met my psychologist before-hand so I did not know what to expect. They are all different.

When I first laid eyes on my psychologist I did not want to work with the person. The thought that came up within my mind was ''I don't want to dish my problems to someone who is in a wheel chair''. But that was whacked out of the way with commonsense. Not to define someone by their outer appearance. I couldn't base my psychologist's ability of being a professional on them being in a wheelchair. So, that immediately changed who I was going to be with this person. I would have to say ever since then and the following sessions that I have had with my psychologist have been great. It is a very enjoyable experience to talk to someone about ... anything really... I get advice and we have a few laughs. My psychologist is my professional friend. That's basically it.

All in all, the experience with the psychologist is what you make of it. It does not mean you're crazy or their is something wrong with you. It just means you're working to assist/support yourself with outside perspectives. What better way to do that then with someone who has had training to do that, and best of all, you get a better self-understanding -- as it is all about you.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear being seen as a crazy person because I go see a professional.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear being labelled a crazy person because I go see a professional.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel embarrassed about going to see a psychologist

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to underestimate the ability of professionals

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that only people who have severe mental issues need/require professional assistance/support.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that therapy is only for people who have mental illnesses

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that going to see a psychologist makes me a weaker person in society.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realize/understand that lots of people go to see professionals for a lot of different reasons.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realize/understand that seeking professional help is not a good/bad thing, it is just about getting outside self-understanding of points that one faces, and needs assistance/support with.

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see/realize/understand that seeking professional help is for more self-understanding.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see/realize/understand that the professional assistance/support is what I make of it.

When and as I see myself being afraid to share the point of seeing a professional - I stop and I breathe - I realize that going to see a professional will help me with self-understanding on points that I would like to understand more, and that the sessions are what I make of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment